Hodan provides some services directly, makes referrals to other organisations where necessary, and supports other agencies in improving accessibility and community integration.
Our services and activities are as follows:
- ‘One Stop Shop’ advice and information service for users (mainly from the Somali community) providing up-to-date information, options explained in their own language, and further support as needed
- Empowerment Club for women and girls – confidence-building workshops, improving physical and mental wellbeing through Zumba exercise classes, and providing a social space with refreshments (supported by the National Lottery ‘Awards for All’ programme)
- Elderly Befriending Project consisting of home visits to older people to engage with them and check their wellbeing, monthly social meetings to reduce isolation, and advice and information to help them access services (supported by the Kensington and Chelsea Foundation and the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea)
- Steps into Employment Project, providing advice to help and enable Somalis and other BME communities to access local job markets
- Excursions for families affected by the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
Our services have been running with high demand for 13 years now and pursue our vision of an empowered, healthy and integrated Somali and wider BME community, whilst adapting to changes in the sector and the community itself.